The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Mornings blech

This week is insane. I have been filling in for another person in my department. I feel rushed trying to get out of this place at the end of the day. Failure to catch the shuttle on time is punishable by suffering long hours in horrendous traffic.

I. Do not. Like. The early shift.

Seems like the demand for my time also increases. Every time I come in early I am swamped with so much other time consuming stuff:

Where does this go?
The copier jammed can you fix it?
The copier needs toner, how do you replace it?
How do you find a patron record?
Where's the tape?
Can you tell me the name of that database thingy that you use to find articles?

With all that stuff and more I never get done what I feel I need to do. My word. I realized that there is a file on my desk that I have been "working" on for 2 years. Obviously it's not that important. I have a task list that has been barely touched. And really do I use it? I guess not, because that 2 year old folder is still lurking in background. Do patrons know when you come earlier, or alter your schedule? I think ours do. It seems like these people know my habits, waiting to come on down to the library to resolve some wacky issue.

I'm taking another coffee break. Perhaps I'll find some Calgon too.....because that would be great right now.....to disappear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home