The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Book of the Month: Assessing Service Quality By: Peter Hernon and Ellen Altman

Excellent customer service is always an ideal to achieve in this profession. Too bad my mouth can't remember this important tip. Seriously, I can and do present a professional image when dealing with patrons. (Even when they do deserve to hear a good bit of "you are an idiot and here's why" or "don't be a rude jerk".) I doubt any book can help me with the idiot and/or rude patron factor. I'm afraid that at a certain point I can take so much. I know I should handle situations a certain way, but sometimes, just sometimes, I can be too honest with a patron. I believe that communication is an integral piece of our society and daily interactions. Specifically for someone to continue to treat me or my staff poorly, well, sometimes they just need to be told a thing or two.

But I'm trying to be a better person.

With a new term beginning it's time for a new wild attitude. So I decided to read this textbook. I can't say that this has reformed me; Rather this book has influenced me to think less snarky. That's good, no?

It's a textbook chock full of information so if you really have a need to address this topic it's a good choice. I found that most of its information is not quite, exciting, ergo the textbook thing. Nonetheless it is useful. This book provides good points and options to resolve service concerns. Time for my own self examination and determination of my service delivery.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home