The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Book of the Week: Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by: Jean Sasson

Wow. What a powerful read. I discovered this book at a relative's house it was highly recommended to read. I had heard of the book but was not prepared for the story. Anyone that wants to gain more insight on women's rights should read this book. After reading a book like this I am thankful I was born female in the United States.

Being subjected to the horrors of incredible oppression is a fate I cannot fathom. To be oppressed is one thing but to be oppressed by those that are supposed to love you is a saddening and frightening way to experience life. I understand that this novel is based on a Saudi princess and that it took place over a period of years. It was an incredible journey for me. To imagine myself in a similar situation, living in a home wondering if my male relatives cared about me, experiencing a family life based on hierarchy brought tears to my eyes.

I realized further that my complaints about having an unsupportive father can never compare to the hell this woman and others like her have experienced and endure daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home