The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Book of the Week:Garbage Land on the secret trail of trash By: Elizabeth Royte

In the Land fills America's hidden secrets are hidden deep within. Our lives are on display underneath piles of gunk. Who knew your trash was the leftover imprint of your life?

I have always been interested in recycling and how the rate of waste disposal has become this incredible invisible elephant in the room. I think of myself as being an eco-conscious person but I am realizing that I may not be as good as I should. I, too, am guilty of being a consumer and not thinking about the ways my consumption has impacted the environment. As my life becomes more and more busy I find that I neglect the eco-consciousness I once had.

In the introduction the author details the contents of her trash can, sorting through the typical paper items; tissues, receipts, boxes, etc. then on to the household items like dust, dirt, broken stuff and the kitchen organics. Going through her garbage was an awaking for her, realizing that the same items often found their way in the can. She was concerned about a few things: her diet was very evident, she needed to diversify her eating habits, she went through a lot of paper and that her family threw out a lot of stuff. She remarked how irritated she became when she realized that the instant she replaced the trash bag garbage began collecting immediately.

It is said that one way to reduce your trash or at least become more aware is to have only on garbage can. That eliminates the questions. But really, is that an option? Could I, could you only use 1 trash can? I'm not sure I would like to. It's a goal. Maybe then I would be able to focus on the waste levels my family goes through.

Quotes to note:

pg.57 "Wet garbage, engineers knew, would generate leachate for thousands of years: the dumps of the Roman Empire, more than two thousand years old, are still leaching today."

That quote knocked me out. Whoa. Still leaching toxins.

pg.59 "According to researchers at Texas A&M University, the leachate produced inside Subtitle D landfills, which contain only municipal solid waste, and Subtitle C landfills, which contain hazardous waste, is chemically identical. "

Another blow. How frightening.

I recommend reading this book for everyone. You will become much more aware of your waste. Landfills are only getting more and more filled. The next question is Where do we put it next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home