The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Book of the Week: Justice for None By: Gene Hackman and Daniel Lenihan

I thought that this might be a good try, a little different, not my typical selection. I like my books a little less cliche. However I wanted to give it a read and see what one of Hollywood's veteran actors could put together.

Lesson learned: Don't do that!

This was not a particularly interesting read. It was difficult for me to maintain my focus and often I found myself too bored to finish the page. The storyline seemed to drag on and on and on. That comes from the authors trying to make this a combination between a literary and commercilized novel. I can see where in parts, Hackman's director mind came into play. However, there were many pages of unnecessary blather that would have been better served in a paragraph. Sometimes you can be too descriptive.

I know that Gene Hackman was raised in the heart of America, and that is where his inspiration for this book's setting came. The story takes place in 1929, the protagonist, Boyd Calvin, a World War I veteran, discovers his ex-wife dead. He is wrongly accused of the murder because he was seen leaving the murder scene. Calvin meets George in jail, a black man who's been charged with raping a white woman. The two become friends and fugitives together. Interesting aspect of story: Both men have always been on the fringe of society. A black man facing daily oppression and a war veteran seeking a place to belong.

This could be a good book depending on your mood. It's filled with many Hollywood-esque lines, and tough guy feel. I didn't find this to be my favorite, it lacks focus, making for a tedious and poorly organized read. Once you get through half way it becomes a better read. Perhaps skimming the first half is the best approach. If you're in the mood for a tough-guy murder trial story then this is your book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home