The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Think happy thoughts

I am having a rather trying day. My student on duty today, Moody-Maude as I like to refer to her, most often she's in good spirits but when she's upset look out. I did not hire this person, she fell into my pot when her department was cut, lucky me. Now I am left to guide a very grouchy girl when, that is, she cannot get her way. I am trying to make the best of this dynamic because when she's not being a jerko whiny student she is rather interesting and enjoyable.

Today on her arrival she has made it very clear to me that she is in a awful mood. And that it's my fault. All of this is passive aggressive, she has not actually said any such thing. She asked about setting up regular days to work and was rather demanding and pushy. (There have been numerous emails sent to me telling me that she will work certain days. She is also paranoid that I do not respond immediately. ) I indicated AGAIN that the day she requested has been booked by other student employees and there is no way I can triple schedule a shift. I reminded her that the other students have been working this set schedule since January and she, the ever fickle one, has been changing her schedule every month. She gave me a nasty look. I left her there to deal with the reality of her flip-flop requests. I really wanted to slap her silly. Instead I retreated to my desk and grumbled alone.

I have been dealing with a difficult scheduling agreement this semester excluding Moody-Maude. With her it only compounds the problems. She likes to tell me when she will work. Her forward and pushy nature rubs me the wrong way. I want to tell her to go away and never return. Her attitude crap is too much work for me to shovel away daily.

Yet I remind myself that she is a stressed out graduate student trying to make ends meet and that she really relies on this job. I can relate, I too, had to work like mad to have enough $$ for food and rent. So I will just take that bitter pill and blame her stress and not her. Because if I don't I will consider letting her walk out the door for good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

You could remind her that there are students waiting in the wings eager to take whatever hours you give them, including hers. Having a set schedule to work is not unusual. The fact that she thinks she can tell you month by month when she can work is ridiculous.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Wild Librarian said...

You are right Vampire librarian. I need to put my foot down and stop being too nice to her.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home