The Wild Librarian

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing wild animals as librarians." --Gorilla Librarian sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus TV Show, Episode 10

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

A curious librarian seeking knowledge and adventure in an Univeristy Library setting.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Who needs Math?

Our duplex copier went down today, surprise. Of course it did. This is the time of year when the patrons need to make a plethora of copies for their research and the copiers take the biggest beating. As a way to provide better customer service I offered to make duplexed copies on an as needed basis.

A patron hands me an enormous stack of articles to copy double sided of course. I take them and proceed. There are 117 double sided pages in this stack. I bring the completed copies back and proceed to ring up the $23.40 in copies. The patron pays and leaves. Only to return and complain that we charged too much for the copies. You see this patron felt that I was charging double, the cost should be $11.70 not $23.40. As I explain that the stack contained 117 double sided pages, each side of the sheet counts as a copy, that adds up to 234 total copied sheets. The patron continues to disagree, insisting that I miscounted and accused me of purposefully over charging for the copies. As we argue over the simple math involved: each copy is ten cents......you have 234 pages....at ten cents a sheet....so on and so forth, it became apparent to me how this patron, being a PhD student will one day save the world with this research yet for some unknown reason cannot grasp simple mathematic principles.

After a 10 minute discussion the patron still felt wronged.

Run away I want to run away from this insanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home